Kapurthala: An Army Captain from
Coimbatore was burnt alive while a Major was seriously injured
when a fire broke out last night in their tent in village
Miani Bhagupurian, where a military exercise was underway.
Captain Anand N and Major Sudhir Parmar were sleeping
in their tent when a fire broke out due to high velocity winds
last night trapping them inside, district police chief Ram
Singh said today.
While Anand was charred to death, Major Parmar was
admitted to an army hospital at Tibri and was stated to be out
of danger, according to police.
Police suspect that the tent caught fire due to
mosquito repellent which was burning inside it.
The entire tent, cot and other articles lying inside
it were reduced to ashes while the Army men tried to douse the
An Army exercise was underway in Mand area of the
village for the past 48 hours.
Police have registered a case and sent the body of
the captain to Kapurthala civil hospital for postmortem.
The Army refused to register a case with the police
and gave a statement that it was an accidental fire and held
no one responsible for the incident, police sources said.