Army Chief avoids commenting on Pak PM`s visit
Chandigarh: Chief of Army Staff, General Bikram Singh, on Saturday refused to comment on the personal visit of Pakistan’s Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf to India, saying it is a political decision.
"We had expressed our concern at that point of time. It is a political decision. So, let the government take a decision on it and I would not like to make any comment on it," said General Singh.
"Let`s not make an issue out of it. The point is let the government really take a decision on this. It won`t be correct on the part of the Chief of Army Staff to comment on this," he added, when asked that the dargah diwan of Ajmer shrine, Syed Zainul Abedin Ali Khan, has said that he would not assist the Pakistani Prime Minister in prayers as a mark of protest over the mutilation of the bodies of the two Indian soldiers.”
The dargah diwan of Ajmer shrine earlier on Friday said that he was opposed to the visit by the Pakistani Prime Minister in the wake of the January 2013 beheading of two Indian soldiers along the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir.
"I will not welcome or be present during his visit to the Dargah. The inhuman manner in which Indian soldiers were treated by the Pakistan Army is despicable and condemned it in the strongest of words. It will be a dishonour to the families of the Indian soldiers who were beheaded by their (Pakistan) Army," he told media in Ajmer.
The Pakistani Prime Minister has arrived in Jaipur on a private trip to pay homage to Sufi saint Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti at his dargah in Ajmer. Ashraf is the first Pakistani leader to visit India after the brutal beheading of two Indian jawans along the LoC by the Pakistani troops in January this year.
External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, who has ruled out any diplomatic talks with the visiting Pakistani Prime Minister, will host a lunch in his honour in Jaipur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?