Army chief bribery case: CBI questions Tejinder Singh
New Delhi: CBI on Wednesday questioned Lt Gen (retd) Tejinder Singh in connection with allegations levelled by former Army chief V K Singh that he was offered Rs 14 crore by him to clear a tranche of "sub-standard" vehicles.
Singh who appeared for questioning in the late afternoon was examined for nearly three hours in connection with the allegations levelled by the then Chief, CBI sources said.
As part of the Preliminary Enquiry, CBI is probing alleged relationship Singh enjoyed with the Vectra group which purportedly prompted him to make the offer to the then Army Chief, the sources said.
The agency had registered a PE in a matter related to an alleged offer of bribe to the then Chief of Army Staff by a retired army officer on behalf of a private person in connection with procurement of vehicles by Indian Army, CBI had said.
The incident had reportedly occurred in September, 2010, the agency had said. It had received a complaint from the then Army Chief giving details of the alleged bribery offer made to him by Singh, who has denied the charge terming it as absolutely false and concocted.
When contacted over phone, Singh declined to say anything.
The CBI might convert the PE into an FIR if it finds prima-facie evidence of any alleged wrong-doing.
The then Army Chief had alleged that Singh had offered him a bribe of Rs 14 crore, a matter he had reported to Defence Minister A K Antony, to clear purchase of nearly 600 all-terrain Tatra BEML trucks.
Singh had refuted the allegations and also slapped a defamation case against the the Army Chief and other officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...