Army Chief holds talks with top brass of China`s PLA
Beijing: Army Chief General Bikram Singh, who is in China on a four-day official visit, on Thursday held talks with People`s Liberation Army (PLA) Chief of General Staff Fang Fenghui here.
The Indian Army Chief`s visit to China comes after a nine-year gap. The then Army chief Gen NC Viz had visited China in 2005.
Later in the day, Gen Singh is scheduled to meet Vice Chairman of China`s Military Commission General Fan Changlong, the all powerful body headed by President Xi Jinping which controls all wings of the armed forces.
General Singh, also the Chairman of the tri-services Chiefs of Staff Committee, is scheduled to meet Vice President Li Yuanchao besides Vice Executive Foreign Minister Zhang Yesui.
Tomorrow, he is due to address cadets of the National Defence University here and later travel to Shanghai on July 5 where he would visit a Chinese naval ship.
Commenting on General Singh`s visit, the PLA said it is of "great significance" as it aimed at strengthening high-level strategic communication and mutual trust between the two militaries.
The visit is of great significance as it contributes to healthy and steady development of Sino-Indian relations as well as the ties between the two armed forces and create a good atmosphere, the Chinese Defence Ministry told a news agency.
Relations between the two armies, the regional security situation besides the issues of common concern and exchanges will come up for discussion between General Singh and the Chinese military officials, the ministry said.
The two sides will implement consensus reached by the leaders of the two countries to strengthen border exchanges and cooperation between the two armies to jointly safeguard the peace and tranquillity in the border areas, it said.
General Singh`s visit is an important event in this year`s planned military exchanges under the ongoing `Sino - Indian Friendship Exchange Year`, it said.
His visit comes after the just concluded tour of Vice President Hamid Ansari and ahead of the first meeting between Chinese President Xi and Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the sidelines of the BRICS summit in Brazil later this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception