Army Chief likely to meet Hemraj’s family today
Lucknow: Army Chief Bikram Singh is likely to meet on Tuesday the family of Lance Naik Hemraj Singh, who was killed by Pakistani troops near the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir’s Poonch district on January 08.
"I will go. They are my people. Tomorrow is Army Day, I will send my senior officer there. I will definitely go. Let this event, the Army Day, be over, I will definitely go and meet the family. If that is the demand, I shall be there," General Singh had said on Monday.
The family, which called off its six-day-old hunger strike yesterday after Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav visited them and promised to fulfill their demands, had earlier demanded that they would call off the fast if the Army Chief visits them and assures that Hemraj’s severed head will be brought back.
The Army Chief had yesterday said that the killing of two Indian soldiers by Pakistani troops was a "gruesome and an unpardonable act”.
“The beheading of our soldier is unacceptable,” he said. Gen Singh said the Army understands the grief of the families of the brave soldiers who laid down their lives as they are "our families too" and they will make all attempts to ease the pain and suffering of Lance Naik Hemraj`s family.
On bringing back the head of Lance Naik Hemraj, Gen Singh said that the matter is being pursued through the diplomatic channel, adding that the matter has been conveyed at DGMO level.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report