Army Chief likely to meet Hemraj’s family today
Lucknow: Army Chief Bikram Singh is likely to meet on Tuesday the family of Lance Naik Hemraj Singh, who was killed by Pakistani troops near the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir’s Poonch district on January 08.
"I will go. They are my people. Tomorrow is Army Day, I will send my senior officer there. I will definitely go. Let this event, the Army Day, be over, I will definitely go and meet the family. If that is the demand, I shall be there," General Singh had said on Monday.
The family, which called off its six-day-old hunger strike yesterday after Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav visited them and promised to fulfill their demands, had earlier demanded that they would call off the fast if the Army Chief visits them and assures that Hemraj’s severed head will be brought back.
The Army Chief had yesterday said that the killing of two Indian soldiers by Pakistani troops was a "gruesome and an unpardonable act”.
“The beheading of our soldier is unacceptable,” he said. Gen Singh said the Army understands the grief of the families of the brave soldiers who laid down their lives as they are "our families too" and they will make all attempts to ease the pain and suffering of Lance Naik Hemraj`s family.
On bringing back the head of Lance Naik Hemraj, Gen Singh said that the matter is being pursued through the diplomatic channel, adding that the matter has been conveyed at DGMO level.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!