Army Chief meets Antony over procurement projects
New Delhi: Army Chief Gen VK Singh met with Defence Minister AK Antony on Monday to discuss procurement projects for the Army - their first official meeting days after his letter to the Prime Minister on the poor state of defence preparedness got leaked.
The meeting was held to discuss the capital acquisition projects of the Army which will be attended by Gen Singh along with the top brass of the Defence Ministry, Ministry officials said.
The meeting comes in the backdrop of the Army Chief`s letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in which he had raised issues about lack of ammunition for the tank fleet and obsolescence of the air defence system of the Army.
The leakage of the letter in the media had triggered a controversy and the CBI is looking into the matter.
In a separate meeting of the Defence Acquisition Council later, Antony met the Army Chief as also Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal Verma and Air Force Chief Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne.
The meeting of the DAC, the apex body of the Defence Ministry, was called to discuss procurement proposals relating to the three Services, DRDO and the Coast Guard.
The DAC also discussed the Long Term Integrated Perspective Plan (LTIPP) and changes in the offsets policy under the Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP), they said.
The LTIPP will list all the requirements of the armed forces for the next 15 years and will help in enabling the private defence sector players to prepare them to meet the requirements of the armed forces.
The offsets policy, which mandates at least 30 per cent worth of defence contracts above Rs 300 crore to be invested back into the country, will also come up for discussion at the meeting.
The last DAC had also discussed the issue but due to disagreements over certain issues, it was postponed for the next meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof