Army Chief meets martyr Hemraj`s family
New Delhi: Army Chief General Bikram Singh on Wednesday visited the home of Lance Naik Hemraj who was beheaded by Pakistan Army last week, amid demands that the head of the soldier be brought back.
The Army Chief reached Khairair near Kosi Kalan in Mathura district of Uttar Pradesh at around noon and placed a wreath at a memorial set up in honour of the brave soldier.
Speaking to the media after consoling the family and assuring all help, Gen Singh said, “My intention to come here is to meet the family…we acknowledge the sacrifice of Lance Naik Hemraj.”
On the demands made by the family, Gen Singh said that their demands would be considered.
However, he refused to answer any question on the situation along the LoC or the simmiering tension between India and Pakistan.
Gen Bikram Singh would also pay a visit to the family members of martyr Lance Naik Sudhakar Singh at his native Dadhiya village in Sidhi district of Madhya Pradesh on January 18. Sudhakar Singh had died fighting for India along with Hemraj.
The family, which called off its six-day-old hunger strike on Monday after Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav visited them and promised to fulfill their demands, had earlier demanded that they would call off the fast if the Army Chief visits them and assures that Hemraj’s severed head will be brought back.
Earlier, the Army Chief said that the killing of two Indian soldiers by Pakistani troops was a "gruesome and an unpardonable act”.
“The beheading of our soldier is unacceptable,” he said. Gen Singh said the Army understands the grief of the families of the brave soldiers who laid down their lives as they are "our families too" and they will make all attempts to ease the pain and suffering of Lance Naik Hemraj`s family.
On bringing back the head of Lance Naik Hemraj, Gen Singh said that the matter is being pursued through the diplomatic channel, adding that the matter has been conveyed at DGMO level.
Hemraj has left behind a wife and three young children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players