Army Chief on 4-day visit to Australia from Tuesday
New Delhi: Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh will embark on a four-day visit to Australia from Tuesday during which the two sides will discuss ways to strengthen bilateral military ties.
"The visit assumes special significance in the light of improving economic and military cooperation between the two countries in consonance with our growing relationship with Australia," an Army statement said.
The visit comes after Defence Minister AK Antony went to that country in June and the two sides decided to strengthen their bilateral defence ties and agreed to hold a naval exercise in the near future.
"A structured mechanism is in place both at the level of Defence and External Affairs ministries and the bilateral cooperation has seen a significant expansion to include all areas of mutual interest," it said.
The visit of the Army Chief will contribute significantly to the consolidation of the existing ties and give a boost to the cordial relations between Australian and Indian armies, the force said.
During the visit, Gen Singh is scheduled to interact with various high level political and military dignitaries of Australia. He will also visit a field formation and the Australian Staff College.
"The visit will contribute to the cementing of our overall relationship with that country and strengthen the ongoing defence cooperation. This enhanced military contact with Australia will prove to be mutually beneficial to the strategic interests of both the countries," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark