Army Chief on 4-day visit to Australia from Tuesday
New Delhi: Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh will embark on a four-day visit to Australia from Tuesday during which the two sides will discuss ways to strengthen bilateral military ties.
"The visit assumes special significance in the light of improving economic and military cooperation between the two countries in consonance with our growing relationship with Australia," an Army statement said.
The visit comes after Defence Minister AK Antony went to that country in June and the two sides decided to strengthen their bilateral defence ties and agreed to hold a naval exercise in the near future.
"A structured mechanism is in place both at the level of Defence and External Affairs ministries and the bilateral cooperation has seen a significant expansion to include all areas of mutual interest," it said.
The visit of the Army Chief will contribute significantly to the consolidation of the existing ties and give a boost to the cordial relations between Australian and Indian armies, the force said.
During the visit, Gen Singh is scheduled to interact with various high level political and military dignitaries of Australia. He will also visit a field formation and the Australian Staff College.
"The visit will contribute to the cementing of our overall relationship with that country and strengthen the ongoing defence cooperation. This enhanced military contact with Australia will prove to be mutually beneficial to the strategic interests of both the countries," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement