Army Chief takes over as honorary Colonel of Guards regiment
Kamptee: Army Chief General V
K Singh today took over as the honorary Colonel of the Brigade
of the Guards regiment, conforming to a tradition in the
He also became the first Army Chief to have taken over
the charge of the honorary post the Regimental Centre of the
Brigade of the Guards regiment, while the previous Chiefs have
done so in Delhi.
With the ceremony here this evening, Gen Singh becomes
the 17th honorary Colonel of the Brigade of the Guards.
The elite Brigade of the Guards was formed in 1949 by
then Army Chief General K M Carriappa, who went on to become
India`s first Field Marshal.
`Guards` was a title coined to denote a body of
handpicked soldiers, who performed special functions around
the Royalty or Heads of States.
Apart from India, there are `Guards" regiments in
England, Switzerland, France, Russia and Holland. "Indian Army`s Brigade of the Guards is modelled on the
British Coldstream Guards. Raising of Brigade of the Guards
with mixed class composition was a bold experiment. No one was
sure whether men in an infantry unit, who fought with
exemplary zeal in the name of their respective class
composition would do so in a mixed battalion also, which was
composed of all classes and religions," a release said.
Gen Carriappa selected four existing infantry battalions,
which were among the oldest in the army, had an excellent
operational record and had won a number of battle honours.
As in the Western armies, the four Guards Battalions were
given seniority over all battalions. Care was taken that the
four selected units did not lose their old identity.
The four battalions that were converted into Guards are
2/2 Punjab now called the 1 Guards, 1 Grenadiers now called
the 2 Guards, 1 Rajputana Rifles now 3 Guards and 1 Rajput now
4 Guards, the release said.
Since Independence, Guards battalions have seen action on
Indo-China border, in Gaza and Angola with UN forces, in
addition to Indo-Pak wars and counter-insurgency operations.
Though the Brigade of The Guards is only 61 years old,
its constituent battalions go back as far as 250 years and
between them share 93 battle honours earned around the globe.
When the Guards were raised, Field Marshal Cariappa
approached then President Rajendra Prasad to be the
Colonel-in-Chief of the senior-most and elite regiment, which
was accepted. Since then the Presidents have been
Colonels-in-Chief of The Brigade of Guards.
Cariappa became the first ex-officio Colonel of the
Brigade and the Commanders-in-Chief continued to hold this
title till Gen J N Choudhary relinquished it in January 1964.
Since then the Army chiefs have been honorary Colonels of
the Brigade of Guards, while the senior most Guards officer
the Colonel of the Regiment.
Present Western Army Commander Lt Gen S R Ghosh will take
over as the Colonel of the Regiment from Defence Intelligence
Agency Director General Lt Gen Tejinder Singh on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened