Army Chief to review mounted parade by 61 cavalry
Jaipur: Army Chief General Bikram Singh will review the mounted parade organised by the 61 cavalry regiment here on September 23.
This is the first visit of Singh to the regiment, the only Horsed Cavalry Regiment of the Army, since taking over, according to Defence Spokesperson SD Goswami.
The regiment will parade in walk, trot and gallop, in formations of eight, four and twelve. The training discipline and horsemanship of both horse and rider will be exhibited in a precise and synchronized military display.
The parade will salute major General KJS Thind, GOC of 61 Sub Area and South Western Army Commander Lt Gen Gyan Bhushan before the arrival of Chief of Army Staff and Colonel of the Regiment.
Visual display of colour of military pageantry will be witnessed by officers, JCOs and soldiers of Jaipur Military Stations, NCC cadets, school children and a number of civil dignitaries.
61 Cavalry celebrates September 23 every year as "Haifa Day" to commemorate the heroic cavalry charge against the Turks on the same day in, 1918 at Haifa (Palestine) during the First World War by the 15th Imperial Cavalry Brigade.
The brigade consisted of Indian State Forces Cavalry units of Jodhpur, Mysore, Hyderabad and Patiala Landers.
The regiment has accredited itself with distinction in operational, ceremonial and sporting tasks. It has the unique distinction of being awarded one Padam Shree and ten Arjuna awards for excellence in sports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez