Army Chief`s visit to Israel likely to be deferred
New Delhi: In view of the prevailing
security situation in West Asia, the Defence Ministry is
likely to defer Gen V K Singh`s three-day visit to Israel
scheduled to start from March 16.
Gen Singh was scheduled to visit Tel Aviv to discuss and
review the existing and future military programmes between the
The Army Chief is likely to be asked to defer the visit
to the next half of the year in view of the present situation
there, Defence Ministry sources said here.
This would mean that it would be the new Army Chief who
will go to Israel as Gen V K Singh is scheduled to retire on
In recent times, there have been tensions between Israel
and Iran over the attacks on Israeli diplomats in foreign
During his visit, the Army Chief is supposed to discuss
with his Israeli counterpart the future joint development of
Defence cooperation between India and Israel has been
burgeoning since diplomatic relations between New Delhi and
Tel Aviv were established in 1992.
The ties have become stronger in the recent times with
India emerging as the largest purchaser of Israeli defence
hardware since the beginning of the 21st Century.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends