Army commemorates 13th anniversary of Kargil victory
Drass: Senior Army officers, war veterans and widows of soldiers who were killed in the Kargil battle on Thursday offered floral tributes at the war memorial in Drass sub-sector here commemorating the 13th anniversary of victory in the 1999 war.
Wreaths were laid by General Officer Commanding-in-Chief Northern Command Lt Gen KT Parnaik, General Officer Commanding (GOC) of Ladakh based 14 Corps Lt Gen Rajan Bakshi and GOC 8 Mountain Division Maj Gen Raymond Noronha.
Senior Air Force officers, Commanding Officers of several units which are at present based in Drass, war veterans and gallantry award winners and widows and relatives of soldiers who lost their lives in the 1999 war also offered floral tributes at the memorial.
The wreath laying ceremony at the war memorial is part of the two-day commemoration, which began yesterday, by the army of its victory in the 1999 Kargil war.
The Kargil war-- which began in May 1999-- lasted for more than two months before Pakistan soldiers, withdrew from the mountain tops it had occupied overlooking the Srinagar-Leh highway.
In the battle with the Pakistani forces, Indian Army lost more than 500 officers and soldiers, many of whom were posthumously given gallantry awards.
The Drass War Memorial, which has been built in the foothills of the Tololing Hill, is hosting most of the ceremonies scheduled for the day.
A `sainik samelan` (soldiers meet) was held after the wreath laying ceremony while as a memorial service and band display will be held later in the day.
Bollywood singer-musician trio of Shankar, Ehsaan and Loy and singer Akriti Kakkar will perform a stage show as part of the anniversary commemoration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets