Army demotes IMA cadet to the rank of sepoy
New Delhi: The Indian Military Academy has sacked a cadet and fined him Rs 11 lakh for fraudulently withdrawing money from a fellow trainee officer`s bank account, a month before the passing out parade.
Besides sacking, Gentleman Cadet Alok Kumar Tiwari, who had joined the army as jawan and cleared several exams to be eligible to become an officer, was demoted to the rank of a sepoy after the incident, his counsel Major K Ramesh told a news agency here.
Alleging that the IMA Commandant ordered his withdrawal from the training institution and imposed a penalty of Rs 11,59,500 without application of mind, Tiwari has moved the Armed Forces Tribunal seeking reinstatement as a GC and waiving-off the fine imposed on him.
The monetary penalty imposed on Tiwari is the cost incurred in his training at the Army Cadet College and the IMA. It would continue to be deducted from his pay and allowances as a jawan for the next eight to ten years, he said.
"This person was a jawan earlier and trained to be an officer. The army has again sent him back to lines and imposed a heavy fine on him. But would they have been able to do so against a cadet coming fresh from college," Ramesh asked.
After completing his two years training at the Army
Cadet College, Tiwari had joined the IMA in January 2009 and
was supposed to pass out a year later as a permanent
A few days before his passing out parade, Tiwari was
involved in a theft of Rs 80,000 from the ATM of his fellow
Tiwari has contended that he was performing well in
his training and at the most, should have been relegated by
another six months in his training course for the offence and
not thrown out of the academy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month
- Outstanding! Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is unstoppable at the Box Office – Read more