Army demotes IMA cadet to the rank of sepoy
New Delhi: The Indian Military Academy has sacked a cadet and fined him Rs 11 lakh for fraudulently withdrawing money from a fellow trainee officer`s bank account, a month before the passing out parade.
Besides sacking, Gentleman Cadet Alok Kumar Tiwari, who had joined the army as jawan and cleared several exams to be eligible to become an officer, was demoted to the rank of a sepoy after the incident, his counsel Major K Ramesh told a news agency here.
Alleging that the IMA Commandant ordered his withdrawal from the training institution and imposed a penalty of Rs 11,59,500 without application of mind, Tiwari has moved the Armed Forces Tribunal seeking reinstatement as a GC and waiving-off the fine imposed on him.
The monetary penalty imposed on Tiwari is the cost incurred in his training at the Army Cadet College and the IMA. It would continue to be deducted from his pay and allowances as a jawan for the next eight to ten years, he said.
"This person was a jawan earlier and trained to be an officer. The army has again sent him back to lines and imposed a heavy fine on him. But would they have been able to do so against a cadet coming fresh from college," Ramesh asked.
After completing his two years training at the Army
Cadet College, Tiwari had joined the IMA in January 2009 and
was supposed to pass out a year later as a permanent
A few days before his passing out parade, Tiwari was
involved in a theft of Rs 80,000 from the ATM of his fellow
Tiwari has contended that he was performing well in
his training and at the most, should have been relegated by
another six months in his training course for the offence and
not thrown out of the academy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city