Army doctors perform 34 surgeries at 14,000 ft
New Delhi: Scaling new heights, doctors of the Indian Army have performed 34 cataract surgeries above 14,000 feet in eastern Ladakh, near the India-China border.
The doctors claimed no such surgeries had been performed earlier at sub-zero temperatures.
"It was a unique challenge and an attempt never made before in the field of ophthalmology. We performed stitchless, bloodless and painless cataract surgery at a height of 14,106 feet in eastern Ladakh," said Brigadier JKS Parihar, Consultant and Head of Ophthalmology, Army Hospital Research and Referral in New Delhi.
He led the team of doctors who conducted the surgeries using the phacoemulsification with implantation of foldable Intra Ocular Lenses technique, where ultrasound power is used to break the cataract into minute pieces, which are then sucked out through a small incision and a foldable lens of the required power is then implanted.
"We did not try the conventional method as chances of failure of surgery are too high. The temperatures there could lead to lot of infection post surgery. That is why we carried our machines and surprisingly machines parameters are not suitable to the environment. We had to modify settings of the machine which resulted in safe, accurate surgery and early recovery," he said.
"This is also a part of our research work where we are trying to find if surgeries using sophisticated machines can be performed at such heights. Through this surgery we have ensured that it can be performed successfully. Many of those
operated upon had been virtually living in the dark world of blindness for many years," General Ravi Dastane, GOC, 14 Corps, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- CBSE XII Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared tomorrow