Army doing a `commendable` job in Kashmir: VK Singh
Sirsa: Former Army Chief VK Singh on Sunday said the military is doing a "commendable" job in Kashmir, noting that while the security forces are fulfilling their duty, other organs of the state should also contribute their lot for restoring sustained normalcy in the Valley.
Singh, in an interaction with community radio channel `Radio Sirsa`, said it is because of the security forces that infiltration and terror-related incidents have "significantly" come down in recent past.
The mistakes made in the past, if any, "should be forgotten" and "we should look forward" to bring sustained normalcy in the state, Singh said, stressing that sufferings of the citizens should come to an end.
He said leaving apart a faction of separatists, the common man in the Valley is "happy" with the presence of security forces.
He further said that the state`s policy on Jammu and Kashmir "lacked consistency", and called upon the government to take stern action against the separatists and anti-national elements.
Responding to a query, Singh said both the Western and Northern borders of the country are facing problems and with an "unfriendly" Pakistan and "unsettled" border issues with China, it is difficult to predict what may happen on the frontiers.
On China`s alleged `String of Pearls` policy to surround India on seas, Singh termed it a "big failure" of India`s foreign policy.
Beijing`s interests in some port projects like Gwadar in Pakistan, Marao in Maldives, Hambantota in Sri Lanka, Chittagong in Bangladesh and Sittwe in Myanmar are seen among experts as China`s move to surround India on sea.
"We could have prevented Chinese advancements had we handled the issues in region properly and intervened wherever required," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues