Army doing a `commendable` job in Kashmir: VK Singh
Sirsa: Former Army Chief VK Singh on Sunday said the military is doing a "commendable" job in Kashmir, noting that while the security forces are fulfilling their duty, other organs of the state should also contribute their lot for restoring sustained normalcy in the Valley.
Singh, in an interaction with community radio channel `Radio Sirsa`, said it is because of the security forces that infiltration and terror-related incidents have "significantly" come down in recent past.
The mistakes made in the past, if any, "should be forgotten" and "we should look forward" to bring sustained normalcy in the state, Singh said, stressing that sufferings of the citizens should come to an end.
He said leaving apart a faction of separatists, the common man in the Valley is "happy" with the presence of security forces.
He further said that the state`s policy on Jammu and Kashmir "lacked consistency", and called upon the government to take stern action against the separatists and anti-national elements.
Responding to a query, Singh said both the Western and Northern borders of the country are facing problems and with an "unfriendly" Pakistan and "unsettled" border issues with China, it is difficult to predict what may happen on the frontiers.
On China`s alleged `String of Pearls` policy to surround India on seas, Singh termed it a "big failure" of India`s foreign policy.
Beijing`s interests in some port projects like Gwadar in Pakistan, Marao in Maldives, Hambantota in Sri Lanka, Chittagong in Bangladesh and Sittwe in Myanmar are seen among experts as China`s move to surround India on sea.
"We could have prevented Chinese advancements had we handled the issues in region properly and intervened wherever required," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know