Army doing a `commendable` job in Kashmir: VK Singh
Sirsa: Former Army Chief VK Singh on Sunday said the military is doing a "commendable" job in Kashmir, noting that while the security forces are fulfilling their duty, other organs of the state should also contribute their lot for restoring sustained normalcy in the Valley.
Singh, in an interaction with community radio channel `Radio Sirsa`, said it is because of the security forces that infiltration and terror-related incidents have "significantly" come down in recent past.
The mistakes made in the past, if any, "should be forgotten" and "we should look forward" to bring sustained normalcy in the state, Singh said, stressing that sufferings of the citizens should come to an end.
He said leaving apart a faction of separatists, the common man in the Valley is "happy" with the presence of security forces.
He further said that the state`s policy on Jammu and Kashmir "lacked consistency", and called upon the government to take stern action against the separatists and anti-national elements.
Responding to a query, Singh said both the Western and Northern borders of the country are facing problems and with an "unfriendly" Pakistan and "unsettled" border issues with China, it is difficult to predict what may happen on the frontiers.
On China`s alleged `String of Pearls` policy to surround India on seas, Singh termed it a "big failure" of India`s foreign policy.
Beijing`s interests in some port projects like Gwadar in Pakistan, Marao in Maldives, Hambantota in Sri Lanka, Chittagong in Bangladesh and Sittwe in Myanmar are seen among experts as China`s move to surround India on sea.
"We could have prevented Chinese advancements had we handled the issues in region properly and intervened wherever required," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read