Army fined for not complying with Tribunal order
New Delhi: The Armed Forces Tribunal (AFT) has slapped a fine of Rs 5,000 on Army as it voiced
unhappiness over its failure to comply with its directive to produce the policy document for selection of Major Generals in the Military Intelligence (MI) branch.
The adverse observation by the AFT and imposition of fine came during hearing of a petition filed by Maj Gen (Retd) SK Choudhury who has alleged that he was denied a chance to become Lt General as his promotion to the rank of Maj General was refused in 2006.
Choudhury has claimed that "injustice" was meted out to him as an officer junior to him was promoted instead at that time, causing "tremendous loss of prestige and honour" to him.
While considering his application, the Tribunal had asked the Army on March 22 to produce within a week the policy documents regarding the promotion and selection of Maj Generals in the MI branch.
The order was not complied with and when the case came up for hearing again on March 30, the Tribunal reprimanded the Army.
"Counter affidavit has not been filed spelling out the policy/guidelines/rules for working out the vacancies for the post of Maj Gen pertaining to the year December 2006. Case is adjourned at the cost of Rs 5000," Justice SS Kulshrestha said.
The Tribunal asked the Army to submit the policy in this regard within seven days.
Maj Gen Choudhury retired from the Army on August 2010 and had filed the petition soon after his superannuation.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today