Army foils infiltration bid in J&K, five militants killed
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Five militants were killed on Saturday as the Indian Army foiled an infiltration bid in Jammu and Kashmir.
The militants were attempting to infiltrate from across the Line of Control in Tangdhar sector in Kupwara district on the intervening night of August 30 and 31.
The infiltrators were challenged by the troops leading to a gunfight between the two sides.
Army troops have launched a search operation in the area to ensure no militant sneaked out.
"So far, five militants have been killed. The combing operation is in progress in the area as there were reports that the group comprised six militants," an Army official said.
The elimination of the infiltrators comes a day after security forces killed five top foreign militants of Hizbul Mujahideen, including district commander Qari Assadullah, in Kangan area of central Kashmir Ganderbal district.
Infiltration attempts by militants from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir have increased over the past three months and more than 20 ultras have been killed during operations along the LoC.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter