Army foils infiltration bid; one soldier killed
Srinagar: Army foiled a major infiltration bid by militants from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) into Gurez sector of Jammu and Kashmir during which one soldier was killed.
"A major infiltration attempt by militants to enter the Valley in Baktoor area of the Gurez sector was foiled last night. The infiltrators retreated back into PoK," Defence spokesman Lt Colonel J S Brar said.
He said an Army jawan, Rifleman Chandra Singh, was killed in the brief exchange of firing between the infiltrators and the soldiers.
Lt Col Brar said the militants were trying to infiltrate in two groups of five persons each at 500 metres distance from each other.
"One pistol and a grenade left behind by the militants have been recovered from the spot of incident," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam