Army foils infiltration bid; one soldier killed
Srinagar: Army foiled a major infiltration bid by militants from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) into Gurez sector of Jammu and Kashmir during which one soldier was killed.
"A major infiltration attempt by militants to enter the Valley in Baktoor area of the Gurez sector was foiled last night. The infiltrators retreated back into PoK," Defence spokesman Lt Colonel J S Brar said.
He said an Army jawan, Rifleman Chandra Singh, was killed in the brief exchange of firing between the infiltrators and the soldiers.
Lt Col Brar said the militants were trying to infiltrate in two groups of five persons each at 500 metres distance from each other.
"One pistol and a grenade left behind by the militants have been recovered from the spot of incident," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31