Army foils infiltration bid; one soldier killed
Srinagar: Army foiled a major infiltration bid by militants from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) into Gurez sector of Jammu and Kashmir during which one soldier was killed.
"A major infiltration attempt by militants to enter the Valley in Baktoor area of the Gurez sector was foiled last night. The infiltrators retreated back into PoK," Defence spokesman Lt Colonel J S Brar said.
He said an Army jawan, Rifleman Chandra Singh, was killed in the brief exchange of firing between the infiltrators and the soldiers.
Lt Col Brar said the militants were trying to infiltrate in two groups of five persons each at 500 metres distance from each other.
"One pistol and a grenade left behind by the militants have been recovered from the spot of incident," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation