Army foils infiltration bid; one soldier killed
Srinagar, Army foiled a major infiltration bid by militants from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) into Gurez sector of Jammu and Kashmir during which one soldier was killed.
"A major infiltration attempt by militants to enter the Valley in Baktoor area of the Gurez sector was foiled last night. The infiltrators retreated back into PoK," defence spokesman Lt Colonel J S Brar told to a news agency
He said an army jawan, Rifleman Chandra Singh, was killed in the brief exchange of firing between the infiltrators and the soldiers.
Lt Col Brar said the militants were trying to infiltrate in two groups of five persons each at 500 metres distance from each other.
"One pistol and a grenade left behind by the militants have been recovered from the spot of incident," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter