Army gears up for Vijay Diwas celebrations at Shiv
Mumbai : The Indian Army would be celebrating `Vijay Diwas` at the Shivaji Park here on December 16 to commemorate its military victory over Pakistan in the 1971 Indo-Pak war.
The Army through `Know Your Army Mela` would also try to reach out to people and would show its military might.
"Through Army Mela we will show to the people what all equipment we have and will also try to encourage the youth to join the Indian Army," Major General Rajesh Bawa, General Officer Commanding, Mumbai Sub Area, told reporters here today.
The Mela would be held at Shivaji Park, in Central Mumbai on 14, 15 and 16 of this month. On the same days military bands will be displayed at Gateway of India, Chowpatty and at Radium Mall.
Problems of ex-servicemen`s residing in Mumbai and nearby areas will also be addressed in the Mela, he said.
Youth will also be told about the benefits of joining the Army. The Chief guest for the preliminary function will be the Mohit Shah Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court, while Maharashtra Governor K Sankarnarayanan will be the chief guest for the main function on 16, he said.
Around 1,500 Army personnel from across the state will participate in the three-day programme, which was last held at the Shivaji Park grounds in 2003.
Lamenting about the shortfall of officers in the Indian Army he said, "Maximum recruitment in Indian Army is from Maharashtra. We want to fill the shortfall at the officers category. There is not much shortfall in soldiers category," he said.
The shortfall at officers category is about 14 per cent, he added.
"We want the people to be aware of what are the strengths and abilities of the Army. Our attempt is to let people know what Indian Army is all about. Today, most of the corporate world is reaching out to the youth, so we are trying to do the same," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city