Army gets new regiment of BrahMos cruise missiles
Hyderabad: In a major boost to its firepower, the Army on Wednesday commissioned the second regiment of the 290-km range supersonic BrahMos cruise missiles with 16 weapon
"I am glad to know that this regiment is being delivered, ahead of schedule. This shows BrahMos’ commitment to its customer," Minister of State for Defence MM Pallam Raju said
at a function to mark the commissioning of the regiment into the Army`s Corps of Artillery.
"Industries must go in a big way towards producing the systems as the production requirement is large in order to meet the demand of the Indian Armed Forces," he said.
Speaking on the occasion, Director General Artillery Lt Gen Vionod Nayanar said, "We have guns for near range and Smerch Rockets for range of 75 km.
"But beyond 75 km range, BrahMos is the only system which has added tremendous fire power capability to Indian Armed Forces for targets as deep as 300 km."
Observing that the capabilities of Army will increase manifold with the induction of world`s only supersonic cruise missile, BrahMos Aerospace Chief A Sivathanu Pillai said, "We
have formed a missile industry complex which is tirelessly working for producing BrahMos missiles for meeting the demand of all the three services."
Two more regiments of the BrahMos will be commissioned in near future including the Block III, which will be deployed in the Northeast along the China border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read