Army gets new regiment of BrahMos cruise missiles
Hyderabad: In a major boost to its firepower, the Army on Wednesday commissioned the second regiment of the 290-km range supersonic BrahMos cruise missiles with 16 weapon
"I am glad to know that this regiment is being delivered, ahead of schedule. This shows BrahMos’ commitment to its customer," Minister of State for Defence MM Pallam Raju said
at a function to mark the commissioning of the regiment into the Army`s Corps of Artillery.
"Industries must go in a big way towards producing the systems as the production requirement is large in order to meet the demand of the Indian Armed Forces," he said.
Speaking on the occasion, Director General Artillery Lt Gen Vionod Nayanar said, "We have guns for near range and Smerch Rockets for range of 75 km.
"But beyond 75 km range, BrahMos is the only system which has added tremendous fire power capability to Indian Armed Forces for targets as deep as 300 km."
Observing that the capabilities of Army will increase manifold with the induction of world`s only supersonic cruise missile, BrahMos Aerospace Chief A Sivathanu Pillai said, "We
have formed a missile industry complex which is tirelessly working for producing BrahMos missiles for meeting the demand of all the three services."
Two more regiments of the BrahMos will be commissioned in near future including the Block III, which will be deployed in the Northeast along the China border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what