Army gets new regiment of BrahMos cruise missiles
Hyderabad: In a major boost to its firepower, the Army on Wednesday commissioned the second regiment of the 290-km range supersonic BrahMos cruise missiles with 16 weapon
"I am glad to know that this regiment is being delivered, ahead of schedule. This shows BrahMos’ commitment to its customer," Minister of State for Defence MM Pallam Raju said
at a function to mark the commissioning of the regiment into the Army`s Corps of Artillery.
"Industries must go in a big way towards producing the systems as the production requirement is large in order to meet the demand of the Indian Armed Forces," he said.
Speaking on the occasion, Director General Artillery Lt Gen Vionod Nayanar said, "We have guns for near range and Smerch Rockets for range of 75 km.
"But beyond 75 km range, BrahMos is the only system which has added tremendous fire power capability to Indian Armed Forces for targets as deep as 300 km."
Observing that the capabilities of Army will increase manifold with the induction of world`s only supersonic cruise missile, BrahMos Aerospace Chief A Sivathanu Pillai said, "We
have formed a missile industry complex which is tirelessly working for producing BrahMos missiles for meeting the demand of all the three services."
Two more regiments of the BrahMos will be commissioned in near future including the Block III, which will be deployed in the Northeast along the China border.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy