Army has become more transparent: VK Singh
New Delhi: Hanging up his boots after a controversial tenure, outgoing Army Chief Gen VK Singh on Thursday said the internal health of the force has improved during his 26 months in office.
Interacting with reporters after his farewell guard of honour here, Singh, 62, said he was alarmed about an incident where a Major had complained about a fake encounter and there was no investigation by the 3 Corps headed by Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag, who is in line to head the force in 2014.
"The internal health of the Army has improved and I am sure that this will continue in the future also. What I said before taking over, that has been implemented and as what I have said always is that the Army works on its `naam, namak and nishan` (name, salt and symbol)," he said in reply to a question on the internal health of the 1.13-million strong force.
On whether he felt that there were far too many controversies during his tenure, Singh said, "There is no controversy. If we pay too much attention towards certain things, they become controversial."
Asked about his major achievements in the 26-month at the helm, Singh said, "What we have been able to achieve is changing of mindsets in the Army. We have been able to take on the path of transformation which includes making the Army ready, relevant, agile and much more effective. Leaner in terms of how it takes its decisions (and that) is already in the pipeline.
"We have been able to ensure that the hollowness that was affecting the Army has been addressed in very cogent manner and we had support from Defence Minister (AK Antony), he said.
"We have achieved fairly good targets," he added.
Asked about the allegations levelled by a Major about a fake encounter in northeast in a letter to him, Singh said, "See when something is written to me, I forward it to the headquarters concerned.
"They had asked headquarters 3 Corps to investigate. So far as I know, investigations have not been done and that is one of the issues, we are seriously looking at."
On if he was alarmed by the developments in this regard, he said, "Obviously, everyone is concerned that such a thing should happen and investigation doesn`t take place. You will hear more about it when the new chain starts taking actions on it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY