Army has become more transparent: VK Singh
New Delhi: Hanging up his boots after a controversial tenure, outgoing Army Chief Gen VK Singh on Thursday said the internal health of the force has improved during his 26 months in office.
Interacting with reporters after his farewell guard of honour here, Singh, 62, said he was alarmed about an incident where a Major had complained about a fake encounter and there was no investigation by the 3 Corps headed by Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag, who is in line to head the force in 2014.
"The internal health of the Army has improved and I am sure that this will continue in the future also. What I said before taking over, that has been implemented and as what I have said always is that the Army works on its `naam, namak and nishan` (name, salt and symbol)," he said in reply to a question on the internal health of the 1.13-million strong force.
On whether he felt that there were far too many controversies during his tenure, Singh said, "There is no controversy. If we pay too much attention towards certain things, they become controversial."
Asked about his major achievements in the 26-month at the helm, Singh said, "What we have been able to achieve is changing of mindsets in the Army. We have been able to take on the path of transformation which includes making the Army ready, relevant, agile and much more effective. Leaner in terms of how it takes its decisions (and that) is already in the pipeline.
"We have been able to ensure that the hollowness that was affecting the Army has been addressed in very cogent manner and we had support from Defence Minister (AK Antony), he said.
"We have achieved fairly good targets," he added.
Asked about the allegations levelled by a Major about a fake encounter in northeast in a letter to him, Singh said, "See when something is written to me, I forward it to the headquarters concerned.
"They had asked headquarters 3 Corps to investigate. So far as I know, investigations have not been done and that is one of the issues, we are seriously looking at."
On if he was alarmed by the developments in this regard, he said, "Obviously, everyone is concerned that such a thing should happen and investigation doesn`t take place. You will hear more about it when the new chain starts taking actions on it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’