Army housing project: Antony orders probe into `irregularities`
New Delhi: Defence Minister AK Antony has ordered a probe into allegations of irregularities in an Army housing project in Kochi.
Antony has asked senior officials in the Ministry to probe the allegations of irregularities in the Army Welfare Housing Project in Kochi, defence sources said here.
The allegations had surfaced recently in a report about the Army Welfare Housing Organisation`s Silver Sands Housing Project, which was planned in 1987 but has not yet materialised.
The report suggested that the armed forces personnel, who had applied for houses in the project, were sold flats built by a private builder in Vaduthala at a higher rate.
It is alleged that a complaint has also been registered in this regard with the authorities concerned.
The Army Headquarters said a Board of Officers was directed to review the AWHO`s performance and it has submitted its report.
The officials said after going through the report, all necessary action would be taken to improve the functioning of the AWHO.
Functioning under the Adjutant General of the Indian Army, the AWHO looks after the housing needs of serving and retired armed forces personnel, which mainly include officers.
Lt Gen Sanjeev Anand has recently taken over as the Adjutant General.
Antony has been prompt in taking action on complaints against any wrongdoing in the armed forces or departments.
The Army has been hit by several land scams in the recent past where officials of the rank of Lt Gens have also been indicted by Court of Inquiries. The Ministry has supported action against the erring officials.
Scams in the recent past include the Adarsh Housing society scam and Kandivali land scam in Mumbai, Sukna land scam in West Bengal and a land scam in Srinagar.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- WATCH: Lionel Messi crying after Argentina's 2-4 loss against Chile in Copa America final
- Hillary Clinton takes a dig at Donald Trump over Brexit
- India's relaxation of foreign investment rules credit positive: Moody's
- Orphaned Goodfellow's tree kangaroo raised through cross-fostering all set to be sent to Singapore!
- Shock waves across Chennai as another person hacked to death in Nandanam area