Army items procured in non-transparent manner: audit report
New Delhi: An internal audit report of the Defence Ministry has detected that army commanders have spent money on procuring imported items from agents in a "non-transparent manner" in "violation" of defence procurement procedures.
The 118-page audit report has also found that many security-sensitive equipment such as bullet proof jackets, night vision devices and parachutes by the Northern Army Commander between 2009-2011 from "unlisted and unregistered" vendors.
"A large number of stores in quite substantial quantities have been purchased, from intermediaries acting as trading outfits for importing the product from some foreign Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) vendors in a non transparent manner, in violation of provisions of defence procurement manual," the report said.
"Under the cover of open tender enquiry, a large number of trading outfits effectively acting as agents in a disguised form, have been able to grab orders for various stores and equipment," it added.
The audit report has detected a loss of Rs 100 crore incurred by the army commanders while using their Special Financial Powers up to Rs 125 crore for procuring equipment on an urgent basis for the troops under them.
The audit observed that the army commanders have gone ahead to procure equipment which was available with the force and in some case, they have done so even when surplus inventory was available in the central pool.
It said certain equipment having "serious security implications" such as bullet proof jackets, IED detection devices and binoculars, Army Headquarters` MGO branch did not give any categorical advice to Command headquarters about the quantity rates and sources for supply of these item.
"Despite the serious security implications, the security sensitive items were procured by the Command headquarters, subsequently from firms which were not registered either with Command or with the DGQA or any other organisation in the defence system," it observed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof