Army lodges protest with Pakistan over LoC firing
Jammu: The Indian Army on Monday lodged a strong
protest with its Pakistan counterpart over unprovoked firing
from across the border on Indian posts along the LoC in Poonch
sector, which left a jawan critically injured.
"We have lodged a strong protest at a flag meeting with
Pakistan Army authorities over yesterday`s cross-border firing
and rocket attacks on Indian posts in Krishangati belt of
Poonch sector," Brigadier General Staff, 16 Corps, Gurdeep
The Pakistani troops were asked to bring recurring
ceasefire violations along the LoC and infiltration bids to a
complete halt or else there will be firm retaliation, Brig
The Commander level flag meeting was held at Chakan Da
Bagh LoC point in Poonch from 14:30 hours to 15:00 hours. The
Indian Army was represented by Brigade Commander Bishan Singh
of Krishnagati sub-sector at the meeting, while the Pakistan
Army was represented by Brig Nadeem, Brig Singh said.
One Army jawan was critically injured as Indian and
Pakistani troops exchanged heavy firing after Pakistan targeted six
Indian Forward posts by resorting to shelling and
indiscriminate firing along the LoC in Poonch sector of Jammu
and Kashmir yesterday.
Pakistan troops opened indiscriminate and heavy firing on
5-6 Indian Posts along LoC in Krishnagati sub-sector of Poonch
district around 09:05 hours. They also fired 4 mortar bombs and
20 rockets on Indian positions, the Army officer said.
The Pakistani troops also used medium machines guns (MMGs) and
fired over 20 mortars shells on the Indian positions.
This is for the first time since a ceasefire was reached
between India and Pakistan on November 26, 2003 that Pakistani
troops have fired mortars bombs on Indian posts.
It was the fourth incident of ceasefire violation in
Jammu and Kashmir this month.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India