Army lodges protest with Pakistan over LoC firing
Jammu: The Indian Army on Monday lodged a strong
protest with its Pakistan counterpart over unprovoked firing
from across the border on Indian posts along the LoC in Poonch
sector, which left a jawan critically injured.
"We have lodged a strong protest at a flag meeting with
Pakistan Army authorities over yesterday`s cross-border firing
and rocket attacks on Indian posts in Krishangati belt of
Poonch sector," Brigadier General Staff, 16 Corps, Gurdeep
The Pakistani troops were asked to bring recurring
ceasefire violations along the LoC and infiltration bids to a
complete halt or else there will be firm retaliation, Brig
The Commander level flag meeting was held at Chakan Da
Bagh LoC point in Poonch from 14:30 hours to 15:00 hours. The
Indian Army was represented by Brigade Commander Bishan Singh
of Krishnagati sub-sector at the meeting, while the Pakistan
Army was represented by Brig Nadeem, Brig Singh said.
One Army jawan was critically injured as Indian and
Pakistani troops exchanged heavy firing after Pakistan targeted six
Indian Forward posts by resorting to shelling and
indiscriminate firing along the LoC in Poonch sector of Jammu
and Kashmir yesterday.
Pakistan troops opened indiscriminate and heavy firing on
5-6 Indian Posts along LoC in Krishnagati sub-sector of Poonch
district around 09:05 hours. They also fired 4 mortar bombs and
20 rockets on Indian positions, the Army officer said.
The Pakistani troops also used medium machines guns (MMGs) and
fired over 20 mortars shells on the Indian positions.
This is for the first time since a ceasefire was reached
between India and Pakistan on November 26, 2003 that Pakistani
troops have fired mortars bombs on Indian posts.
It was the fourth incident of ceasefire violation in
Jammu and Kashmir this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'