Army much cleaner today: Gen VK Singh
New Delhi: Claiming success in improving the
internal health of the Indian Army, Gen V K Singh on Thursday said
the organisation was `much cleaner` at present than when he
had taken over from General Deepak Kapoor in 2010.
"The answer is a big yes... we have been very successful
in improving the internal health of the service," he said when
asked if the internal health of the force had improved and the
organisation was much cleaner today.
Soon after taking over, Gen Singh had said that improving
internal health of the Army was his priority as the force was
mired in scams such as Sukna.
The Army Chief as Eastern Army Commander had ordered an
inquiry into the Sukna land scam in 2009 in which two Lt Gens
have already been court martialled under Army laws.
He said by improving internal health he meant that
officers and troops followed and observed the "core values" of
"We have made our system transparent and secondly, we
have told all our people that however big and powerful they
may be, if we find them in any wrongdoing, they will be
punished under the Army rules," he said.
"We have built confidence in our people so that they can
speak the truth," added.
Gen Singh said internal health of the force can`t be
improved with the press of a button and will get better with
the passage of time.
After Gen Singh took over as Army Chief, three Lt Gens
have been court martialled for their alleged involvement in
scams and the names of two former Army Chiefs also surfaced in
the Adarsh Housing Scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31