Army much cleaner today: Gen VK Singh
New Delhi: Claiming success in improving the
internal health of the Indian Army, Gen V K Singh on Thursday said
the organisation was `much cleaner` at present than when he
had taken over from General Deepak Kapoor in 2010.
"The answer is a big yes... we have been very successful
in improving the internal health of the service," he said when
asked if the internal health of the force had improved and the
organisation was much cleaner today.
Soon after taking over, Gen Singh had said that improving
internal health of the Army was his priority as the force was
mired in scams such as Sukna.
The Army Chief as Eastern Army Commander had ordered an
inquiry into the Sukna land scam in 2009 in which two Lt Gens
have already been court martialled under Army laws.
He said by improving internal health he meant that
officers and troops followed and observed the "core values" of
"We have made our system transparent and secondly, we
have told all our people that however big and powerful they
may be, if we find them in any wrongdoing, they will be
punished under the Army rules," he said.
"We have built confidence in our people so that they can
speak the truth," added.
Gen Singh said internal health of the force can`t be
improved with the press of a button and will get better with
the passage of time.
After Gen Singh took over as Army Chief, three Lt Gens
have been court martialled for their alleged involvement in
scams and the names of two former Army Chiefs also surfaced in
the Adarsh Housing Scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official