Army officer gets bail in child pornography case
Mumbai: A Lt Colonel arrested on charge of
child pornography was granted bail on Wednesday even as police ruled
out his extradition to Germany for trial for the same offence.
Lt Colonel Jagmohan Balbir Singh was apprehended on May 6
from his South Mumbai house for allegedly uploading obscene
photographs and video clips of children on the Internet.
The 42-year-old officer, who was in police custody till
today, was granted bail by a local court on a personal bond of
Rs 25,000, his lawyer Dilip Bagwe said.
Meanwhile, Joint Police Commissioner Himanshu Roy ruled
out Singh`s extradition to Germany.
"Police in Germany have also registered a case against
the accused for child pornography. They would close the case
now as Singh has been arrested here and he cannot be tried and
punished twice for the same offence," Roy said, adding "we
will send them (German police) a detailed report related to
Last year, German Police had come across obscene contents
being uploaded on a child pornography site from Mumbai and
brought the issue before the Interpol, which alerted the CBI
in Delhi in March 2010.
The CBI passed on the information to the Mumbai Police
which nabbed the officer and seized a computer and two hard
disks from his house.
Singh, who is with the Army for 20 years, had "downloaded
all child pornography material from the internet. He himself
was not involved in preparing them," Roy said.
Earlier in the day, police sought extension of Singh`s
custody in the court stating forensic report of the two hard
disks containing hundreds of obscene photographs and video
clips seized from Singh`s home were still awaited.
They said his credit card transaction and mobile phone
billing details were also awaited from the respective
However, the court granted him bail, saying the probe
in the case was over and asked Singh to present himself
before the police every three days.
Singh, who hails from Punjab, was attached to the
Army`s supply and transport wing in Colaba, South Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part II
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part III
- India is 35th member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Vivek Oberoi to be seen in 'No Smoking' commercial
- Brexit vote sends new shocks through financial markets, political chaos deepens
- Wimbledon: World No. 223 dumps out Ana Ivanovic in first round
- Wimbledon 2016: Novak Djokovic begins title defence with a solid victory
- Shiva Thapa, Manoj Kumar can win gold at Rio Olympics: Vikas Krishan