Army officers` exams to go online this yr
New Delhi: Keeping with the times, the Army`s promotion exams for young officers will go online before the end of this year.
The decision came at the biannual Army Commanders Conference, which is underway here, with the top brass approving the new system for implementation.
About 10,000 young Lieutenants, Captains and Majors take this written exam every year to test their calibre for promotion to the next higher rank.
"The Army Commanders have approved the new examination pattern, which is currently being run on a trial basis. It has been found to be efficient and will help Army save in terms of money, manpower and time," a senior officer in the Army headquarters told PTI here.
The new online "Part B" and "Part D" exams can be taken by the Army officers at a centre nearer to their place of posting throughout the country anytime of the year.
Under present method of promotional examination, the officers travel to major cities to take the written test in the conventional format.
"We have taken a cue from the competitive exams that are held online for management and engineering courses to devise this new web-based examination. It is also consistent with the times," the officer said.
With this new system, the Army is expecting to save on the money spent by the young officers to travel from their location of posting in remote areas to the cities.
It would also save on the time these officers are absent from forward areas, manpower being critical in units, as at present the Army is short of officers in battalions by nearly 50 per cent.
Also, the savings would come in the form of infrastructure and materials required for holding the conventional exams at centres and on the invigilators to oversee the process.
"Interestingly, the online system would help in getting the results of the exams within time, thereby saving the time and manpower required in the form of invigilators," the officer added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Yuvraj Singh trolls R Ashwin for photobombing his picture with Virat Kohli – See pic!