Army orders COI against Major over secret files
New Delhi: The Army has ordered a court
of inquiry against a Major posted in the Andaman and Nicobar
Islands for allegedly possessing 2,000 sensitive military
documents on his personal computer from where it was passed on
Army officials here said Major Santanu Dey would face
the probe after a joint investigation by the Military
Intelligence (MI) and National Investigation Agency (NIA)
found that the documents from his personal computer had been
mailed to an ISI contact in Pakistan.
Major Dey is posted in the Bihar Regiment, which is
deployed in Andaman and Nicobar Islands as part of the tri-
services command in Port Blair.
The Army COI will go into the circumstances under
which Major Dey came in possession of these secret documents
and how these were mailed to Pakistan.
The documents reportedly related to top secret war
plans of the Army, which are usually in the safe custody of
major general-rank officers and above.
In April this year, Indian intelligence agencies had
received a tip-off on this security breach from US security
agencies that had questioned Mumbai terror attack suspect
David Coleman Headley.
Though the joint investigation by MI and NIA had ruled
out the possibility of the major being involved in a spy
racket, it raised serious questions over him being in
possession of the top secret files.
The two agencies had confiscated the major`s personal
computer and got it analysed by the Hyderabad-based Central
Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials