Army personnel and a SULFA activist killed
Guwahati: Two persons - an army personnel
and surrendered ULFA (SULFA) activist were killed in an
encounter in Assam`s Tinsukia district today.
The encounter took place when the army acting on a
tip-off that five ULFA militants along with the SULFA activist
had taken shelter in a house at Kalpathar village launched an
operation in the village, the police said.
Three of the militants fled before the army arrived at
In the fierce encounter that followed the SULFA
activist and an army jawan were killed, while the other two
ULFA militants made good their escape during it.
The SULFA activist was identified as one who had
surrendered in 2007 but had maintained close relations with
the outfit and was responsible for several kidnappings by the
ULFA during the last few months in and around Tinsukia.
The slain army jawan was identified as Naik Dayal
Singh, the police said.
Later, an AK-56 rifle, two magazines and 24 rounds of
ammunitions were recovered from the encounter site.
Combing operation is on in the area to apprehend the
militants who fled, the police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!