Army personnel and a SULFA activist killed
Guwahati: Two persons - an army personnel
and surrendered ULFA (SULFA) activist were killed in an
encounter in Assam`s Tinsukia district today.
The encounter took place when the army acting on a
tip-off that five ULFA militants along with the SULFA activist
had taken shelter in a house at Kalpathar village launched an
operation in the village, the police said.
Three of the militants fled before the army arrived at
In the fierce encounter that followed the SULFA
activist and an army jawan were killed, while the other two
ULFA militants made good their escape during it.
The SULFA activist was identified as one who had
surrendered in 2007 but had maintained close relations with
the outfit and was responsible for several kidnappings by the
ULFA during the last few months in and around Tinsukia.
The slain army jawan was identified as Naik Dayal
Singh, the police said.
Later, an AK-56 rifle, two magazines and 24 rounds of
ammunitions were recovered from the encounter site.
Combing operation is on in the area to apprehend the
militants who fled, the police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- 'Nervous' Pakistan lodges FIR against Baloch leaders for 'supporting' PM Modi's statement on Balochistan
- Amnesty row: Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara takes U-turn, denies giving clean-chit
- Volkswagen cuts 28,000 workers' hours over supply woes
- 1% TCS on cash buy not to apply on embassies, UN bodies, Govt depts
- Rio Olympics: Pele congratulates Brazil on football gold