Army personnel and a SULFA activist killed
Guwahati: Two persons - an army personnel
and surrendered ULFA (SULFA) activist were killed in an
encounter in Assam`s Tinsukia district today.
The encounter took place when the army acting on a
tip-off that five ULFA militants along with the SULFA activist
had taken shelter in a house at Kalpathar village launched an
operation in the village, the police said.
Three of the militants fled before the army arrived at
In the fierce encounter that followed the SULFA
activist and an army jawan were killed, while the other two
ULFA militants made good their escape during it.
The SULFA activist was identified as one who had
surrendered in 2007 but had maintained close relations with
the outfit and was responsible for several kidnappings by the
ULFA during the last few months in and around Tinsukia.
The slain army jawan was identified as Naik Dayal
Singh, the police said.
Later, an AK-56 rifle, two magazines and 24 rounds of
ammunitions were recovered from the encounter site.
Combing operation is on in the area to apprehend the
militants who fled, the police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heavy rains wreak havoc across the country!
- Pakistani terrorist captured in Kashmir is a resident of Lahore
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Federal Alliance hints at joining new govt in Nepal
- Great Red Spot the source of heat on Jupiter: Scientists
- Lloyds to cut 3,000 jobs, close more branches after Brexit shock
- Chhattisgarh IAS officer claims 94% of death row convicts are Dalits, Muslims, triggers row
- Mahasweta Devi—A voice of the oppressed