Army personnel to get VAT exemption on vehicle purchase
Lucknow: Army personnel will get
exemption from Value Added Tax (VAT) on purchase of two-
wheelers and light motor vehicles from CSD canteens in the
state, official sources said here on Wedensday.
"A notification to give exemption to Army personnel on
purchase of vehicles from canteens was issued by the Tax
and Registration department yesterday," they said.
As per the notification, exemption in VAT would be
limited to sale of 3,000 motorcycles, scooters and mopeds and
1,200 four-wheelers every year, they said adding that serving
personnel of Indian Army, other security establishments and
ex-servicemen will get the benefit of tax exemption.
This tax exemption will, however, result in Rs 7.29
crore annual revenue loss to the state government, official
The notification also stated that Army personnel
willing to avail tax exemption will be required to get an
authority letter from the commanding officer.
Besides, an officer will not be allowed to transfer a
vehicle to any person other than spouse, ward, serving or
retired Armyman for a period of 10 years.
This condition will be mentioned on the registration
certificate of the vehicle.
At present 12.5 per cent VAT and one per cent
additional tax is being charged on vehicles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video