Army personnel to get VAT exemption on vehicle purchase
Lucknow: Army personnel will get
exemption from Value Added Tax (VAT) on purchase of two-
wheelers and light motor vehicles from CSD canteens in the
state, official sources said here on Wedensday.
"A notification to give exemption to Army personnel on
purchase of vehicles from canteens was issued by the Tax
and Registration department yesterday," they said.
As per the notification, exemption in VAT would be
limited to sale of 3,000 motorcycles, scooters and mopeds and
1,200 four-wheelers every year, they said adding that serving
personnel of Indian Army, other security establishments and
ex-servicemen will get the benefit of tax exemption.
This tax exemption will, however, result in Rs 7.29
crore annual revenue loss to the state government, official
The notification also stated that Army personnel
willing to avail tax exemption will be required to get an
authority letter from the commanding officer.
Besides, an officer will not be allowed to transfer a
vehicle to any person other than spouse, ward, serving or
retired Armyman for a period of 10 years.
This condition will be mentioned on the registration
certificate of the vehicle.
At present 12.5 per cent VAT and one per cent
additional tax is being charged on vehicles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Ringing Bells starts delivery of Freedom 251 smartphone from today
- Tiger Shroff and Disha Patani's latest video is CUTE! Watch here
- Lenovo K4 Note gets a price cut; available at Rs 10,999
- RSS trying to ''appease'' Muslims: Shiv Sena
- WATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Minnows Iceland dump mighty England out of Euro 2016