Army places orders for 100 howitzers
New Delhi: The Indian Army has placed orders
for 100 artillery guns with the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB)
after having failed to acquire even a single howitzer in over
two decades following the Bofors scandal.
The Army has issued several tenders for procuring
different types of howitzers in the last two decades but has
failed to do so due to some problem or the other.
"The Army has placed orders with the OFB for procuring one
hundred 155mm 52 calibre howitzers and this will be developed
on the basis of Transfer of Technology (ToT) done by Bofors,"
Minister of State for Defence MM Pallam Raju told PTI here.
He said indigenous development of the howitzers would
continue alongside trials by the OFB and within a specific
time frame, the guns would be delivered to the Army.
The Minister said this indigenous development programme
was not likely to have any impact on procurement of several
types of gun systems such as 145 Ultra Light Howitzers, 180
Self-Propelled Howitzers and 400 Towed Howitzers through
The OFB has been producing major components of the gun,
such as barrel, breach mechanism, muzzle break, loading
trough, recoil system along with the elevating and traversing
cylinders, and supplying these to the army as spares.
As part of its over Rs 20,000 crore artillery
modernisation plan, the Army is looking at inducting several
types of howitzers through inter-governmental pacts and global
Army Chief Gen VK Singh had promised last year that at
least one type of artillery gun would be inducted into the
Service in 2011-12 but it is still waiting for it.
The Bofors 155mm howitzers were the focus of a kickback
scandal targeting former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi in the
late 1980s, but the artillery gun performed remarkably in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj