Army remarks: BJP demands Farooq`s resignation
Jammu: BJP in Jammu and Kashmir on Wednesday
demanded the resignation of Union Minister Farooq Abdullah for
his remarks about the army while pitching for the removal of
AFSPA in the state.
"BJP questions the propriety of Abdullah as a Union
Minister for passing derogatory remarks about army. We have
also asked the UPA government, including the Defence and Home
Ministers, to clarify whether what he said in a detailed
interview on a national channel is the official position of
the government," party spokesperson Jagat Prakash Nadda told a
press conference here.
"Being a Minister in the Centre, Abdullah should not
issue such irresponsible statements on sensitive matters. He
should step down before commenting anything against army to
support his son and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah," Nadda said.
The army is in J&K at the request of civilian
administration and it is because of the armed force that peace
was restored, he pointed.
Nadda said any decision about Armed Forces Special Power
Act (AFSPA) is not a "sole" prerogative of the J-K Chief
Minister and his (Omar) suggestion for selective revocation of
the Act from some districts is not feasible from the security
point of view.
The withdrawal or continuance of AFSPA should be left to
the Unified Command, the BJP spokesperson said.
Union Minister Farooq Abdullah, while making a strong
pitch for removal of the controversial AFSPA from parts of
J&K, had recently said in a TV interview that army was not the
"master" of the people of the state and that it should
concentrate on choking infiltration of terrorists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'