Army set to court martial Lt Gen Avadesh Prakash
New Delhi: The Indian Army is all set to court martial its former Military Secretary, Lt. Gen. Avadesh Prakash, for irregularities in transferring land at a military station in West Bengal, with the proceedings to begin at Leimakhong in Manipur in the middle of June, an officer said Thursday.
The court martial is likely to be presided over by the army`s Director General (Perspective Planning), Lt. Gen. Phillip Compose, and will comprise six major generals, an officer at the army headquarters here said.
The court martial follows Prakash being indicted by an army court of inquiry early last year for his role in the illegal transfer in 2008 of 70 acres of land adjacent to the Sukna military station to a private realtor for constructing an educational institution.
Depending on how severe the court martial gauges the irregularity to be, Prakash, who retired from service in the middle of last year, could be severely reprimanded, stripped of his rank and medals and could also lose either all of or a part of his pension.
Prakash was the Military Secretary when Gen. Deepak Kapoor was the army chief.
Prior to the convening of the court martial, orders for which are to be signed by the Eastern Army Commander, Lt.Gen. Bikram Singh soon, Prakash would be attached to the Kolkata-based command headquarters.
Along with Prakash, then 33 Corps commander Lt. Gen. P.K. Rath, his chief of staff Lt.Gen Ramesh Halgali and the then administrative head of the Sikna military station, Major General P.K. Sen, were also indicted by the army court of inquiry.
While Prakash and Rath were awarded disciplinary action leading to a court martial ordered by Gen. Kapoor, the other two officers were let off with administrative action leading to a censure. The army has already punished Rath after a court martial found him guilty earlier this year and awarded him a severe reprimand, two-year loss of seniority and 15 years` loss of service for the purpose of pension.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan