`Army should avoid making statements on policy matters`
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir unit of CPI(M) on Saturday took exception to the statement made by Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh on revocation of AFSPA from the state, saying that important policy matters should be left to the government and Army should avoid making statements on these matters.
"Unfortunately it was the political disinterest in Delhi that is providing a room to the Army to come public on important policy matters. The issue pertaining to the revocation of AFSPA should be left to the government and Army should not issue any statements on issues not enshrined in its mandate," the CPI(M) State Committee said in a statement here.
Yesterday, the Army Chief said: "The time is not right at the moment to tamper with this enabling act. We should not take away AFSPA at this juncture."
The CPI(M) State Committee reiterated its call that the state government should bring a resolution on revocation of AFSPA in J&K.
"The government should bring a resolution in the state Assembly on revocation of AFSPA and the CPI (M) will support its passage," the Committee said, adding, since infiltration is down and the overall security situation has improved, it becomes imperative on part of Centre to consider scrapping AFSPA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!