Army to brief former chiefs on security, operational scenario
New Delhi: The Army will brief its former chiefs on the present security and operational scenario faced by the 1.3 million-strong force and will also seek their advice to further improve its functioning.
The bi-annual former Army Chiefs` Conclave is being held tomorrow where they would be hosted by the present Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh and have discussions about the present scenario the force in working in, Army sources said here.
The former chiefs have been invited for the meeting by the Army Headquarters are Deepak Kapoor, J J Singh, N C Vij, S Padmanabhan, V P Malik, V N Sharma and V K Singh.
However, Bikram Singh`s immediate predecessor V K Singh has expressed his inability to attend the function due to certain reasons, they said.
V K Singh has been in recent times involved in agitations against the government and had also stated that he would be part of a gherao of Parliament over the demands of sugarcane farmers in the country.
The practice of calling former chiefs was initiated when Vij was the Army Chief and that was one of the last few occasions when Field Marshal S H F J Manekshaw attended any official ceremony in the capital.
The meeting is usually held around the Army Commanders` Conference but it is being held more than a month after that meeting which took place in October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- New Zealand to keep trialling day-night first-class cricket
- Delhi sex racket busted: Girls confined in almirahs; forced to sleep with clients in cubicles
- SMASH HIT: Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is still ruling the Box Office! – Details inside
- Yogeshwar Dutt's Bronze to be upgraded to Silver: Virender Sehwag expresses excitement with HILARIOUS tweet
- Rahul Gandhi on three-day visit to Amethi from Wednesday