Army to court martial 27 errant officers: Report
New Delhi: First time in the history of Indian Army, at least 27 personnel of lieutenant colonels and colonels rank are likely to face court martial for illegally selling off weapons procured for their personal use, according to a newspaper report.
Notably, Army rules prohibit sale of non service pattern weapons without permission.
A PIL was filed in Rajasthan High Court alleging that weapons were brought from ordinance factory at Jabalpur by the officers for personal use, and sold off to civilians.
Following this the Army carried out investigations and found that officers posted in Bhutan since 2005 as part of IMTRAT (Indian Army Training Team) had bought weapons and then sold it after returning to India.
The Army banned the import of weapons for personal use and also took action against the errant officers, the newspaper quoting an official said.
However, the shocker came after the investigations revealed that some officers posted in India itself had bought weapons for personal use and were selling off to civilians at a good price.
The Army has taken serious note of the matter and ordered a Court of Inquiry, which was completed a few weeks ago. Meanwhile, disciplinary proceedings are underway and the action will be taken only on a case by case basis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE