Army to disband V K Singh`s snoops
New Delhi: Chief of Army Staff General Bikram Singh has issued instructions to set up a board of officers that will be tasked with the responsibility of disbanding the clandestine military intelligence unit established by his predecessor General VK Singh.
The so-called ‘technical support division’ was controlled directly by General VK Singh, who had taken on the government over his age-related issue, a battle that he eventually lost in the Supreme Court.
It may be recalled that this outfit was set up with a funding of Rs 18 crore, and was given the responsibility of tapping the phones of top political leaders and bureaucrats. It has now been ordered to shut down.
General Bikram Singh has issued directions to probe the unit’s mandate, tasks executed by it and its financial records. A three-star general will head the clean-up act.
“The Army wants to fix responsibility before disbanding the unit. It’s surprising why a unit with no strategic relevance was reporting directly to the Army Chief,” a senior officer said.
General VK Singh retired on May 31, and before superannuating, had claimed he was born in 1951, contrary to official records that showed he was a year older. Post-retirement, he has continued to speak out against the government, even sharing the stage with Anna Hazare. It was alleged the snoop unit had illegally deployed two sets of mobile phone interception equipment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends