Army to disband V K Singh`s snoops
New Delhi: Chief of Army Staff General Bikram Singh has issued instructions to set up a board of officers that will be tasked with the responsibility of disbanding the clandestine military intelligence unit established by his predecessor General VK Singh.
The so-called ‘technical support division’ was controlled directly by General VK Singh, who had taken on the government over his age-related issue, a battle that he eventually lost in the Supreme Court.
It may be recalled that this outfit was set up with a funding of Rs 18 crore, and was given the responsibility of tapping the phones of top political leaders and bureaucrats. It has now been ordered to shut down.
General Bikram Singh has issued directions to probe the unit’s mandate, tasks executed by it and its financial records. A three-star general will head the clean-up act.
“The Army wants to fix responsibility before disbanding the unit. It’s surprising why a unit with no strategic relevance was reporting directly to the Army Chief,” a senior officer said.
General VK Singh retired on May 31, and before superannuating, had claimed he was born in 1951, contrary to official records that showed he was a year older. Post-retirement, he has continued to speak out against the government, even sharing the stage with Anna Hazare. It was alleged the snoop unit had illegally deployed two sets of mobile phone interception equipment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!