Army to fill all vacancies in training academies
New Delhi: For the first time in last 15
years, all the seats for both male and female officers in
Indian Army`s training institutions would be fully subscribed
to help meet the shortfall of over 12,000 officers.
This year, the vacancies of around 2,300 officers
would be filled in training academies including the Indian
Military Academy (IMA) in Dehradun and in Chennai, senior Army
officials said here.
The Army is facing a shortage of 12,349 officers
against its sanctioned strength of around 46,500 officers and
is also looking to increase the number of officers to meet the
new security requirements on both fronts. The Army has a total
strength of 1.3 million.
If such a trend continues, the Army would be able to
meet the shortfall in the next few years, they said.
As another step in this direction, Army is also going
to start a new training academy in Gaya in Bihar on July 18
which will have capacity to train 700 officers in a year.
Over the years, officials said, it was observed that
shortfall of officers was among non-technical wings such as
the infantry, artillery and armoured corps.
"Now all those candidates who clear Services Selection
Board (SSB) process and are not getting through in the
technical branches are being given the option of joining
non-technical arms and this arrangement is working very well,"
Defence Minister A K Antony had recently stated that
the shortfall was partly attributed to attrition from time to
time, tough selection procedures, difficult service conditions
coupled with perceived high degree of risk involved in
recruitment and training.
A number of steps have been taken by the Government to
attract youth to join the armed forces, which include increase
in tenure of Short Service Commission (SSC) officers from 10
to 14 years and increasing promotional avenues for officers.
As part of its efforts to provide more promotional
avenues for the Permanent Commission officers, the armed
forces have also decided to increase the intake of SSC
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Attack on Congolese national not racial one: VK Singh
- IPL 2016 Qualifier 2: Gujarat Lions vs Sunrisers Hyderabad — Possible XIs, Date, Time, Venue, TV Listing, Live Streaming
- APICET 2016 Results: (apicet.net.in) AP ICET Result 2016, AP Integrated Common Entrance Test Results to be declared today on May 27
- Horrific! Huge serpent creeps into man's toilet; attacks genitals – Watch
- PM Modi still most popular leader; NDA to get 342 seats if elections held today: Survey