Army to have another BrahMos missile regiment
New Delhi: As part of efforts to upgrade military capabilities in the north-east, the induction of an advanced variant of the 290-km range supersonic cruise missile in the army for mountain warfare has been approved by the government.
The approval by the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) --
Ministry`s apex decision making body-- will pave the way for
induction of the fourth missile regiment in the army, Defence
Ministry sources told reporters.
The sanction for inducting a regiment of the Block III
steep-dive variant of the BrahMos, granted recently in a DAC
meeting chaired by the Defence Minister, is expected to
enhance the lethality of army`s firepower in the north-east
The steep-dive attack cruise missile can hit enemy targets
hidden in the shadows of mountains, they said.
The army has inducted a total of three regiments already including two of the Block II variant, which can precisely hit the intended enemy building or assets even in a cluster of buildings.
In the backdrop of massive military infrastructure buildup
by China in its areas along the frontiers, India has taken
several measures to improve its preparedness in the
These steps include deployment of two squadrons of the
Su-30 MKI fighter jet aircraft in Tezpur and Chhabua in Assam and raising of two mountain divisions for deployment in Arunachal Pradesh and adjoining areas.
The government also revised its old military doctrine of
not developing roads along the border and is working on
developing over 70 strategic roads on the Sino-Indian border.
BrahMos is a stealth supersonic cruise missile that can
be launched from submarines, ships, aircraft or land and has
been inducted in all the three services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister