Army to have another BrahMos missile regiment
New Delhi: As part of efforts to upgrade military capabilities in the north-east, the induction of an advanced variant of the 290-km range supersonic cruise missile in the army for mountain warfare has been approved by the government.
The approval by the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) --
Ministry`s apex decision making body-- will pave the way for
induction of the fourth missile regiment in the army, Defence
Ministry sources told reporters.
The sanction for inducting a regiment of the Block III
steep-dive variant of the BrahMos, granted recently in a DAC
meeting chaired by the Defence Minister, is expected to
enhance the lethality of army`s firepower in the north-east
The steep-dive attack cruise missile can hit enemy targets
hidden in the shadows of mountains, they said.
The army has inducted a total of three regiments already including two of the Block II variant, which can precisely hit the intended enemy building or assets even in a cluster of buildings.
In the backdrop of massive military infrastructure buildup
by China in its areas along the frontiers, India has taken
several measures to improve its preparedness in the
These steps include deployment of two squadrons of the
Su-30 MKI fighter jet aircraft in Tezpur and Chhabua in Assam and raising of two mountain divisions for deployment in Arunachal Pradesh and adjoining areas.
The government also revised its old military doctrine of
not developing roads along the border and is working on
developing over 70 strategic roads on the Sino-Indian border.
BrahMos is a stealth supersonic cruise missile that can
be launched from submarines, ships, aircraft or land and has
been inducted in all the three services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons