Army to have another BrahMos missile regiment
New Delhi: As part of efforts to upgrade
military capabilities in the north-east, the induction of an
advanced variant of the 290-km range supersonic cruise missile
in the army for mountain warfare has been approved by the
The approval by the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) --
Ministry`s apex decision making body-- will pave the way for
induction of the fourth missile regiment in the army, Defence
Ministry sources told agency here.
The sanction for inducting a regiment of the Block III
steep-dive variant of the BrahMos, granted recently in a DAC
meeting chaired by the Defence Minister, is expected to
enhance the lethality of army`s firepower in the north-east
The steep-dive attack cruise missile can hit enemy targets
hidden in the shadows of mountains, they said.
The army has inducted a total of three regiments already
including two of the Block II variant, which can precisely hit
the intended enemy building or assets even in a cluster of
In the backdrop of massive military infrastructure buildup
by China in its areas along the frontiers, India has taken
several measures to improve its preparedness in the
These steps include deployment of two squadrons of the
Su-30 MKI fighter jet aircraft in Tezpur and Chhabua in Assam
and raising of two mountain divisions for deployment in
Arunachal Pradesh and adjoining areas.
The government also revised its old military doctrine of
not developing roads along the border and is working on
developing over 70 strategic roads on the Sino-Indian border.
BrahMos is a stealth supersonic cruise missile that can
be launched from submarines, ships, aircraft or land and has
been inducted in all the three services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez