Army troop build up report alarmist: PM
New Delhi: In the backdrop of a controversial report published by the Indian Express that the Army moved two units towards Delhi in January without informing the government, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday sought to downplay the speculated rift between the political leadership of the country and the armed forces.
Reacting to the report, the Prime Minister said, “The Army is a vital institution. Any effort to downgrade its reputation should be avoided.”
Dubbing the media report as “alarmist”, Prime Minister said, “Report of Army troops build up should not be taken at face value.”
He emphasized that Army Chief`s office is an exalted office and nothing should be done to lower its dignity.
The reaction of the Prime Minister comes hours after a leading news daily `Indian Express` claimed that the Indian Army had moved two units towards New Delhi without notifying the government on January 16.
The daily further claimed that the incident took place hours after Army Chief VK Singh had moved the Supreme Court on his age controversy.
Importantly, the Defence Ministry also dismissed the report as “baseless and incorrect”.
In its reaction, the MoD said such exercises are conducted by the Indian Army from time to time.
"The points raised in the report have already been clarified by the Army...such exercises are conducted by the Army from time to time," Defence Ministry spokesperson Sitanshu Kar said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi