Army troops get clothing to brave minus 50 deg C temperature
New Delhi: Army has provided latest Swiss winter gear including trousers, jackets and gloves to jawans deployed in places such as Siachen Glacier to enable them brave temperatures that even go below minus 50 degree Celcius.
Jawans deployed in areas including Siachen Glacier, Kargil and Sikkim have been three-layered Extreme Cold Weather Clothing System and each set costs over Rs 35,000, Army sources said here.
The outermost layer of the winter clothing is made up of Gortex and can help troops in braving freezing temperature of up to minus 50 degree C, they said.
The winter gear has been imported by the Army from various Swiss winter clothing manufacturers including Black Diamond.
The Army has procured 40,000 such sets of clothing and the troops in some areas have already started using the kits, they said.
The need for replacing the existing kit was felt by senior Army authorities after it was found that the jackets and trousers in use were very bulky and troops were not finding them very comfortable, sources said.
After the Army started deploying troops to protect its territory in Siachen and other high altitude areas, several measures have been taken by the Government to improve their living conditions there.
The DRDO has also come up with integrated shelter huts which can provide protection to the soldiers against extreme climatic conditions of the Himalayan region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Rahul Gandhi to lead rally against Arvind Kejriwal govt, Centre on May 28
- Watch video: Baby bison is attacked by a wolf – what happens next will give you goosebumps!
- Kejriwal gives one week deadline to discoms to solve outages problem
- French Open 2016: Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray through as Angelique Kerber exits
- 'Asian Century' largely depends on India, China: Pranab Mukherjee