Army Vice Chief tries to persuade sepoy to come down mobile tower
New Delhi: Vice Chief of Army staff Lt Gen SK Singh on Saturday visited the spot, where an Armyman has climbed a 200 ft high mobile tower here alleging harassment by his seniors, and tried to persuade him to come down.
Singh spoke to K Muthu, who is attached with Engineers Regiment, on phone for over 30 minutes, Army officials said.
Muthu, however, was not ready to believe that it was the Army Vice Chief himself talking to him and refused to climb down, they said.
The officials said they will continue its efforts to convince him.
Alleging harassment by seniors, 35-year-old Muthu had climbed the tower at Ajmeri Gate on August 17 and refused to come down despite appeals by police and Army officers.
He is demanding an audience with Defence Minister AK Antony.
Hailing from Tuticorin district of Tamil Nadu, Muthu has alleged he was transferred five times in five years.
"This is not a problem faced by me alone. I`m presenting the problems faced by many jawans in Army," he had said.
On Friday, Muthu had thrown a bunch of papers and in one of the letters, he demanded his discharge from service due to alleged harassment by seniors. In the letter, he has also requested the commanding officer to get his salary of the last eight months cleared.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Batla House encounter: BJP protests outside Sonia Gandhi's residence
- 'FIR' actor Suresh Chatwal no more, co-star Kavita Kaushik expresses grief
- Virat Kohli fails to breach 1000-run barrier but breaks Suresh Raina's IPL batting record
- Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose lived as KK Bhandari in 1960s?
- AIB's Tanmay Bhat blasted on Twitter for mocking Sachin Tendulkar, Lata Mangeshkar | WATCH his controversial video