Army women`s team to attempt to scale Mt Everest
New Delhi: A women`s team of the Indian Army with seven officers will attempt to scale the world`s highest peak Mount Everest in May this year.
The 22-member team was flagged off by Army Deputy Chief Lt Gen Ramesh Halgali on Monday.
"This is yet another example of women undertaking powerful roles in the Army as they will attempt to summit the highest peak in the world," Army spokesperson Colonel Jagdeep Dahiya said here.
The team led by Col Ajay Kothiyal will have more than ten Army men to support the women team in scaling the peak.
The Everest was first conquered by an Army team in 2001 and the first army women team had summited through North (Tibet) in 2005.
This expedition will be carried out through South (Nepal) which is known as the traditional route, from which Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay had first climbed.
The team will take off for Nepal on 22 Mar 2012 and after reaching the base camp at near the Everest, the summit attempts will be made between 15-20 May 2012.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know