Armymen allegedly assault CBI search team
Pune: Army personnel at the Military Command
Hospital here allegedly locked up and manhandled a team of CBI
officials, after which the sleuths registered a complaint with
the police against a Major General for obstructing government
officials from performing their duties.
A CBI team, accompanied by the local police, went to the
hospital premises yesterday following a complaint from a
vendor engaged in supplying medicines and surgical equipment
alleging irregularities in purchases and seeking of bribe by
an officer of the rank of Lt Colonel, official sources said
However, the CBI team, on reaching the hospital, were
first locked up and then surronded by nearly 40 lathi-wielding
army personnel, the agency said in its complaint to the Pune
police, a copy of which has been sent to agency headquarters
According to Vidya Kulkarni, CBI-ACB Superintendent, the
CBI officials sought the assistance of the police to go ahead
with the searches, to which Maj Gen S S Panwar, commandant
Command hospital, objected.
CBI claimed that at the behest of the Major General,
the Army personnel did not allow its officials to perform the
duties. The CBI officials were later allowed to leave without
performing their duties.
However, late in the night, the sleuths carried out the
searches with a larger presence of the police and sezied
some of the documents, the sources said. Some of the documents
might have already been removed by the army officials, CBI
A Command hospital spokesman denied the CBI team was
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people