Army`s rigidness making it difficult to amend AFSPA: Chidambaram
New Delhi: Finance Minister P. Chidambaram has said the army`s rigidness against any dilution or amendment to the controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), is making it difficult for the government to move forward on this proposal.
"Amending the act will make it more humanitarian, but the army`s rigidness was not leaving much for the government," Chidambaram said during the K Subramanian Memorial Lecture here yesterday.
"The armed forces, and especially the Chief of Army Staff, the present one and the previous one, have taken a very strong position that AFSPA should not be amended," he added.
"Now, how does the government move forward in the face of such widely divergent views on the sensitive subject"? Chidambaram asked.
"My view on AFSPA is known, the view of the Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir on AFSPA is known. We have the (Justice) Jeevan Reddy Committee report, but yet, if the army takes a very strong stand against any dilution or any amendment to AFSPA, it is difficult for a civil government to move forward," Chidambaram said.
"I think you should ask the question to the armed forces and ask why are they so opposed to even some amendment to AFSPA which will make AFSPA a more humanitarian law," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30