Armywomen scale Siachen`s highest peak on I-Day
New Delhi: An all women mountaineering
expedition of the Indian Army scaled Indracol, the highest
point on the Siachen glacier, on the occasion of 63rd
Independence Day on Saturday.
The expedition comprising women officers from the Corps
of Engineers was flagged off on August 3 by Army Vice Chief
Lieutenant General Noble Thamburaj to scale the point situated
at an altitude of 6117 metres.
Led by Major Megha Astagikar, the 12-member-group set
off for their final climb towards the peak at midnight of
August 14 and reached there at 0645 hours this morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation