Armywomen scale Siachen`s highest peak on I-Day
New Delhi: An all women mountaineering
expedition of the Indian Army scaled Indracol, the highest
point on the Siachen glacier, on the occasion of 63rd
Independence Day on Saturday.
The expedition comprising women officers from the Corps
of Engineers was flagged off on August 3 by Army Vice Chief
Lieutenant General Noble Thamburaj to scale the point situated
at an altitude of 6117 metres.
Led by Major Megha Astagikar, the 12-member-group set
off for their final climb towards the peak at midnight of
August 14 and reached there at 0645 hours this morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know why PSU bank employees went on strike on Friday
- Pope Francis to pay `silent` visit to Auschwitz
- ‘Dishoom’ movie tweet review
- Rahul Gandhi's inflation-related speech ''baseless'', just wants to grab people's attention: BJP
- Erdogan wants Army under President's control after coup: Turkish official