Around 2,000 pro-Telangana agitators in custody on 1st day of bandh
Hyderabad: Around 2,000 pro-Telangana
agitators were taken into custody on Tuesday after they indulged in
violent protests on the first day of the two-day bandh called
in the region on the statehood issue, the police said.
The shutdown has been called by the Telangana Joint
Action Committee (JAC), which comprises of political parties and
people`s organisations, to demand the introduction of Telangana
Bill in the ongoing budget session of Parliament.
However, the situation in the 10 Telangana districts
and the Andhra Pradesh capital was by and large peaceful, they
With a view to prevent disturbance and maintain law
and order, 1,978 persons were taken into custody, police said.
Some private educational institutions, hotels, shops,
business establishments and petrol pumps remained closed in
In Hyderabad, stone pelting pro-Telangana students
clashed with police on the Osmania University campus. The
in-charge Vice-Chancellor of the university DN Reddy appealed
for restraint and calm.
Police used teargas shells to disperse the students
throwing stones on Osmania University Police Station, Deputy
Commissioner of Police (East Zone) Y Gangadhar said.
At least 120 pro-Telangana activists, including
members of the ABVP and Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC)
Convener M Kodandaram, were arrested when they took out
rallies in support of the bandh, he said.
Students of the Nizam College in Basheerbagh area also
threw stones on policemen. Sixteen protesters were taken into
custody, another police officer said.
Meanwhile, TRS President K Chandrasekhar Rao condemned
the arrest of JAC Convener Kodandaram, who was later released.
The JAC and TRS said the shutdown was a success as
people voluntarily participated in the protests.
Kodandaram asked the bandh supporters to organise
community kitchen tomorrow at the places where they hold
protests as part of the shutdown.
The Telangana supporters should cook food and eat
together wherever they held protests, he said.
TRS Politburo member K Jagadiswar Reddy appealed to
the people to participate in the shutdown on Wednesday also.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!