‘Around 90,000 cases pending with State Consumer Forum’
New Delhi: As many as 95,263 cases are pending with state consumer fora and 10,761 before the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission, Rajya Sabha was informed on Monday.
"The number of cases pending in National Commission and State Commissions is 10,761 and 95,263, respectively as on March 6, 2013," Consumer Affairs Minister KV Thomas said during Question Hour.
He said there was only one vacancy of a judicial member in NCDRC and necessary steps have been taken to fill the post.
Referring to steps taken by government to reduce backlog of cases and delivery of fast justice, Thomas said financial assistance is provided by the Centre to states and UTs for strengthening infrastructure of consumer fora including computerisation and networking.
"State governments have been requested from time to time to take action well in advance for filing up of vacancies of President and Members to maintain a panel of candidates for filing up of future vacancies...," he said.
Besides, some state commissions have constituted additional benches mainly to dispose of backlog of cases.
The Minister said the National Commission and some of the state commissions as well as district fora are adopting the process of holding Lok Adalats for speedy disposal of cases.
There are three vacancies for the post of President and 22 members in different state commissions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed