‘Around 90,000 cases pending with State Consumer Forum’
New Delhi: As many as 95,263 cases are pending with state consumer fora and 10,761 before the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission, Rajya Sabha was informed on Monday.
"The number of cases pending in National Commission and State Commissions is 10,761 and 95,263, respectively as on March 6, 2013," Consumer Affairs Minister KV Thomas said during Question Hour.
He said there was only one vacancy of a judicial member in NCDRC and necessary steps have been taken to fill the post.
Referring to steps taken by government to reduce backlog of cases and delivery of fast justice, Thomas said financial assistance is provided by the Centre to states and UTs for strengthening infrastructure of consumer fora including computerisation and networking.
"State governments have been requested from time to time to take action well in advance for filing up of vacancies of President and Members to maintain a panel of candidates for filing up of future vacancies...," he said.
Besides, some state commissions have constituted additional benches mainly to dispose of backlog of cases.
The Minister said the National Commission and some of the state commissions as well as district fora are adopting the process of holding Lok Adalats for speedy disposal of cases.
There are three vacancies for the post of President and 22 members in different state commissions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- WATCH: HISTORIC! Neeraj Chopra sets U-20 Javelin record, becomes first Indian world champion in athletics
- REVEALED: Why Hindu families in Aligarh want to sell their houses, leave area
- We’re not broken, just bent and we can learn to love again!
- Suspended Bihar BJP MLC Tunna Pandey sent to 12-day custody for molesting minor girl on train
- What a strong statement! Sushma Swaraj blasts Nawaz Sharif for delusional, dangerous Kashmir dream: READ top quotes