‘Around 90,000 cases pending with State Consumer Forum’
New Delhi: As many as 95,263 cases are pending with state consumer fora and 10,761 before the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission, Rajya Sabha was informed on Monday.
"The number of cases pending in National Commission and State Commissions is 10,761 and 95,263, respectively as on March 6, 2013," Consumer Affairs Minister KV Thomas said during Question Hour.
He said there was only one vacancy of a judicial member in NCDRC and necessary steps have been taken to fill the post.
Referring to steps taken by government to reduce backlog of cases and delivery of fast justice, Thomas said financial assistance is provided by the Centre to states and UTs for strengthening infrastructure of consumer fora including computerisation and networking.
"State governments have been requested from time to time to take action well in advance for filing up of vacancies of President and Members to maintain a panel of candidates for filing up of future vacancies...," he said.
Besides, some state commissions have constituted additional benches mainly to dispose of backlog of cases.
The Minister said the National Commission and some of the state commissions as well as district fora are adopting the process of holding Lok Adalats for speedy disposal of cases.
There are three vacancies for the post of President and 22 members in different state commissions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla