‘Around 90,000 cases pending with State Consumer Forum’
New Delhi: As many as 95,263 cases are pending with state consumer fora and 10,761 before the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission, Rajya Sabha was informed on Monday.
"The number of cases pending in National Commission and State Commissions is 10,761 and 95,263, respectively as on March 6, 2013," Consumer Affairs Minister KV Thomas said during Question Hour.
He said there was only one vacancy of a judicial member in NCDRC and necessary steps have been taken to fill the post.
Referring to steps taken by government to reduce backlog of cases and delivery of fast justice, Thomas said financial assistance is provided by the Centre to states and UTs for strengthening infrastructure of consumer fora including computerisation and networking.
"State governments have been requested from time to time to take action well in advance for filing up of vacancies of President and Members to maintain a panel of candidates for filing up of future vacancies...," he said.
Besides, some state commissions have constituted additional benches mainly to dispose of backlog of cases.
The Minister said the National Commission and some of the state commissions as well as district fora are adopting the process of holding Lok Adalats for speedy disposal of cases.
There are three vacancies for the post of President and 22 members in different state commissions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'